Thursday 24 February 2011

London visit

Took a trip to London today to see some galleries. Managed to get lost looking for a tiny gallery near Leicester square but to be fair google maps did lie to me.
Anyway I didn't really mind getting lost because I went the entire day not being disappointed by any art which is good! These are the shows I saw

  • Fighting Gravity - Claire Fontaine at the Regina Gallery London. This show was really well thought out, it's simultaneously showing in Russia under the same name at the Regina Gallery Moscow. The piece also titled Fighting Gravity consisted of two films, one documenting a flight from London to Moscow and the other a flight from Moscow to London, projected in real time was genuinely beauteous in delivery and symbolism. It was quite disorientating to watch at first, then I was immersed in the sheer sublimity of it and then I was disgusted at remembering the whole toxic process that makes it possible for people to experience these images in motion. Photographs of the piece below.






  • Allison Jacques- just had a quick look in here to see what was on which was Robert Mapplethorpe with other artist works included and curated by the group Scissor Sisters, which I thought upon reading was very strange but, judging by the show and the fact I don't know a lot about them apart from how much I dislike their music, they seem to know what they're doing. I really liked the Marc Swanson sculptures in this show.

  • British Art Show 7- at the Southbank centre. Which was really amazing. I saw quite a few pieces that were really captivating. I found most beautiful and interesting, huge photograph prints of a piece of pyrite, the ink paintings by Mick Peter, and the enamel paintings by George Shaw, and a breathtaking print by Wolfgang Tillmans. The installation by Charles Avery was also deeply interesting to me, I read a lot of links between geology and time in it. I don't think I really need to elaborate on the perfect demonstration of time and cinema that is Christian Marclays The Clock. It is what it is, just perfect.




  • Artfirst gallery- Dave Price The green fuse and Simon Morley A short history of the 20th Century. Again both really good shows but I was much more effected by the Dave Price exhibition. His paintings seemed to me completely fresh, his painting technique directly references traditional intaglio prints, and the oil paint was so flush with the wood panels. He also uses bare wood panels which made me think of Norwegian crafts. The work took inspiration from a poem "The force that through the green fuse drives the flower"
    By Dylan Thomas (18 Poems, pub. 1934)



Sky painting (After Aldorfer) - oil on panel- Dave Price


The Green fuse - oil on panel- Dave Price




The Berlin Wall- watercolour on paper- Simon Morley



  • Tenderpixel gallery- Scapes by art collaborative group Squidsoup. This exhibition was a single installation, it was a tiny room that took me so long to find, getting lost in the process, but I can safely say it was the most enthralling artwork I saw all day. You should just watch the video underneath. I feel like it gave me my imagination back after all these months of being conditioned by artschool, to recognise symbols and references within artwork. Though it did make me think back to the amazing James Turrell exhibition I went to. This kind of art which creates an entire environment is so interesting to me.




Scapes - Tenderpixel Gallery from squidsoup on Vimeo.


  • Whitechapel Gallery- Bethan Huws Capelgwyn, Claire Barclay Shadowspans and work by John Stezaker. The Bethan Huws was disappointing in a way I suppose, because when I saw the tiny sculpture of a single wheatsheaf twisted into a boat I just wanted to see more of her work.

No comments:

Post a Comment