Sunday 7 November 2010

Chemistry of memory



I'm very intrigued at the moment at the biology and chemistry of memory. I've been researching in as far a depth as I can understand and now I've come back down to single atoms. Sodium and Potassium atoms to be precise. These are the atoms that flow in and out of the axon of a neuron (an electrically excitable cell) and transmit information received from sensory stimulus.

Creating long term memory is about synthesis and strengthening of proteins and the more times neurons transmit impulses the stronger they get
. Ergo these tiny atoms are what creates the memories I hold inside my mind. Tiny elements inside the cells in my body inside the food that I eat, inside the rocks of the earth that I walk on.

I'm not really sure what to do with this information yet but it may well involve some geological research of the rocks of my hometown.

No comments:

Post a Comment